- Assistant Professor
- Late imperial and twentieth century China
- Chinese-Western relations since the 18th century.
- Christianity in China
- Ph.D. History and Asian Studies Pennsylvania State University
I am a social and cultural historian of modern China. I teach courses on modern China, modern Japan, and modern East Asia in general.
My current research studies the real estate empire of the Society of Foreign Missions of Paris (French: Société des Missions Étrangères de Paris, short M.E.P.) in south China from the late nineteenth to early twentieth century. It examines how the mission acquired their properties, and what happened to their properties as the political landscape changed in China.
- “A Martyr and a Hero: Political Ideologies and Religious Experiences in Modern China,” in Catholicism’s Encounters with China. 17th to 20th Century, ed. Alexandre Chen Tsung-ming (Leuven: Leuven University Press, 2018), 255-274.
- “Regulating Church Property in Late Imperial China,” Frontiers of History in China 12, no. 1 (April 2017): 93-111.
- “Xin cailiao, xin shijiao, Jiujinshan daxue de Guangzhou dang’an jieshao” (New Sources, NewPerspectives: Introduction to the Canton Archive of University of San Francisco) (in Chinese), in Jidujiao yu Zhongguo shehui wenhua: di wu jie guoji qingnian xuezhe yantaohui lunwenji (Studies in Christianity and Culture: Essays from the Fifth International Young Scholars Symposium), ed. Lai Pinchao and Wu Xiaoxin (Hong Kong: Center for the Study of Religion and Chinese Society, Chung Chi College, CUHK, 2014), 115-128.
- "Catholicism and the Gelaohui in Late Qing China," New Zealand Journal of Asian Studies 15 (June 2013): 93-113.
- Lead translator from English to Chinese A Jesuit in the Forbidden City: Matteo Ricci 1552-1610 by R. Po-chia Hsia (Oxford University Press 2010). Published as Li Madou: Zijincheng lide Yesuhuishi. Shanghai: Shanghai guji chubanshe 2012.
- Review of Harmonious Disagreement: Matteo Ricci and his Closest Chinese Friends by Yu Liu (Peter Lang Press, 2015), China Review International 21.2, 2016.
- Review of God’s Little Daughters: Catholic Women in Nineteenth-Century Manchuria by Ji Li (Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 2015), China Review International 21.2, 2016.
- Review of Between Birth and Death: Female Infanticide in Nineteenth-Century China by M. T.King (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2014), IIAS Newsletter (University of Leiden, International Institute for Asian Studies), Spring, 2015.
- Review of Glorify the Empire: Japanese Avant-garde Propaganda in Manchukuo by Annika A. Culver (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, 2013), IIAS Newsletter (University of Leiden, International Institute for Asian Studies), Summer, 2015.
- Review of A Protestant Church in Communist China: Moore Memorial Church Shanghai 1949-1989 by John Craig William Keating (Bethlehem: Lehigh University Press, 2012), Asian Studies Review. May, 2014.
HIST 121, Asian Civilization II
HIST 452, China in the Modern World, 1600-Present
HIST 455, Tokugawa and Modern Japan, 1600-Present
HIST 492, Capstone Seminar
HIST 456 East Asia in the Age of Empire